"Questioned at the Minnesota state fair Monday about the resignation of Alberto Gonzales, Thompson said the attorney general's enemies were piling on and he didn't think Gonzales did anything wrong. But he said Gonzales didn't handle the situation very well."Big contrast in style and one reason for Thompson's appeal.
I think that is a key characteristic for a successful politician--magnanimity coupled with principled resolve . . . so you can get elected but still govern effectively.
2 comments:
Maher on Thompson:
Who I couldn’t stand to see in the White House is another person - excuse me - like the one we have now. And to me that’s Fred Thompson, that’s Rudy Giuliani, that’s anybody who keeps it way way way too simple for the complex times we’re living in.
What is it with Fred Thompson? Why are they crazy about him? He’s another guy who gets up there and says: ‘you know what? I got the horse sense. I don’t need to learn a heck of a lot … I can kill or deport anybody who scares you. That’s the kind of tough guy I am.’
But that’s not the kind of world we live in. The bad guys don’t have armies, you can’t kill and deport everybody who scares us. You have to handle it in a little different way. It takes a little explaining to the American people and that’s what these guys don’t want to do.
Yeah; I hope y'all run on "nuance" again.
Post a Comment