I was reminded today of how Liberals really dominate in the bumper sticker-sphere. I was in a downtown (Nashville) parking garage today and saw these choice stickers, (on the bumper of a Nissan Armada "Gravediggers for Bush" (w/ matching and obligatory x-ed out "W" sticker)
Though not quite as histrionic, another car in there had a big blue "Wal-Mart sucks" sticker (next to a "Harold Ford, Jr. for Senate" sticker).
Thereafter, on the interstate I spotted a late-model Subaru with these stickers:
White on black "If you can read this, you're not the President"
on the other side, a campaign-like sticker reading "Someone smart in 2008"
This reminded me of several things. First, histrionics breed clever bumper stickers; second, histrionics have become mainstream in the modern Democrat Party. I recall all the brickbats during the Clinton years, and I somewhat condoned it, even if I didn't participate. For example, I remember in 1993 seeing one bumper sticker that said "Repent ye 21%" or something like that (it was addressed to the people who voted for Perot, I think) and I'll admit that when Clinton lied to the Grand Jury (obstructed justice?) I wanted to produce a bumper sticker that said "Gore97." All that being said, I think it's not a positive thing to demean or deride as a first impulse in political dialogue.
Lastly, disagreeing with a Democrat doesn't make you an idiot; disagreeing with a Democrat doesn't constitute insanity; and disagreeing with a Democrat doesn't constitute a federal crime.
Kat Coble considers the issue here (Can You Disagree With A Liberal Without Being An Idiot Or A Bigot? « Just Another Pretty Farce). Kat notoriously is fair-minded in debate and I agree with much of her post, but she seems to miss that my question was rhetorical.
Hello world!
7 years ago
7 comments:
Nah. I knew it was rhetorical.
But I needed something to write about early this morning because my dog woke me up and I couldn't get back to sleep.
So I used your question as a writing prompt. ;-p
I knew you did . . . perhaps I should have said I am amazed that Kat so effortlessly ignored my point and sashayed over to her opinion that Conservatives epitomize ad hominem argument.
The Walmart sticker is funny, because Harold Ford Jr. took more money in either 2002 or 2004 (can't remember for sure) than any other Democrat in the Congress, including those from Arkansas. He received roughly 6K in individual contributions from the Walton family, and was one of the only Democrats to get money from them.
Yes, strange bedfellows and all that . . . but Sean, do you agree that y'all have a virtual lock on pith?
Not at all.
As I said at NiT I feel like criticism of Conservatives is pulling the log out of my own eye since I'm a conservative.
And since you framed the question that way.
If I level criticisms at liberals it's just more partisan attacking.
Couldn't you have just said, "darn good question, Ned--what's your answer Libs"?
But seriously, I missed the "log out of my own eye reference," and my query was eminently pertinent seeing as Mack was calling Phil Valentine stupid rather than arguing with Phil Valentine.
I don't think you engage in ad hominem argument, and I try very hard to stick to the issues, too.
Mack tends to be very emotionally charged about the immigration issue and anyone opposed to free and open borders.
It's just his thing.
Post a Comment