Channel surfing while ESPN was showing a commercial, I came across Patton, starring George C. Scott. I've never watched the entire movie, though I've been familiar with it since childhood. Even the small portion that I watched was fascinating--though I have to admit I probably missed "the point" of the movie. And I don't know if this is "cliche" or not, but Patton's dog was a pitbull.
Anyway, in the movie, a Nazi is looking over a dossier of Patton as Allied forces are overrunning their HQ, and says, "he (Patton) will be destroyed, too, for a warrior can't suvive without a war" (or something along those lines). It reminded me of traveling home through north Alabama this evening and passing by the city/town of Warrior. I told my wife--as I have on previous trips, that "Warrior" is perhaps my favorite city name.
I guess that's because war seems to be an inevitable part of human existence and a warrior is a person willing to stand in the deadly juncture of civilization and the alternative. It should go without saying that I'm thinking of those who serve with honor, not those prone to atrocities.
Now I'm watching another "classic" war film I've heard of but never seen . . . A Bridge Too Far.
Hello world!
7 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment