Well, this article reports that there was intent and motive (sounds "criminal" doesn't it?) on the part of the those involved in directing, distributing and promoting, etc. this movie to influence young viewers. I thought this quote was ironic, yet candid:
The green theme "was hard to shoehorn into the ad campaign," says Dawn Taubin, president of domestic marketing for Warner Bros. . . .Sorry if I don't appreciate that.
7 comments:
Elliemay in quotes: "there are worse messages to be delivered."
No argument from me there, but that's not a great selling point for a movie, is it?
"So Ned, just sit back and blog your demagoguery on film makers responsible for award-winning works like "An Inconvenient Truth", "Fahrenheit 911" and "Happy Feet" without ever seeing them..."
Not demagoguing, just pointing out the OUTRAGE over criticism by some that filmmakers are slipping a Lefty mickey in a child's animated beverage. And I was unclear in seeming to imply that I wouldn't see the movie(s) when I said I wouldn't waste money on it/them.
That being said, I trust you'll appreciate the difference between a "documentary" and a drama. Do you think you get more "information" from factcheck.org or a candidate's 30 second ad? And, frankly, that's my biggest problem with Gore & Moore's films; that they are closer to historical novels than documentaries.
"Your perspective is analogous to using an atheist website to study christianity and rendering an opinion on Jesus without ever opening the Bible."
Is this an example of what psych's call projection?
Terry,
Thanks for that review--it sounds even worse than I'd heard it was.
And you've saved me the trouble of seeing it because you are a like-minded demagogue with a website who can tell me what to think. (But now; what to do about my baseless opinions that elliemay can't stop from trashing?)
Terry, something just occurred to me . . . you saw this movie even though Conservatives were lambasting it? How do you expect to remain a member in good standing of the VRWC if you flout party directives? Huh? You better give it some thought little lady.
elliemay in quotes:"Is that what Sean Hannity and Ann Coulter have led you to believe? See the films and make up your own mind."
Come on elliemay, is that kind of comment constructive? In any event, I've seen Moore's movies (by the way, have you seen "Fahrenhype 9/11"?) but my point about both movies is that they are purportedly documentaries, so even if I haven't seen the actual films, shouldn't they stand on their facts? It isn't a story-telling contest, but alas, that is what it has become in the U.S. over the past several decades.
"However on the Gore and Moore films you are wrong. They are 2 of the most researched documentaries in history."
That's laughable elliemay, really. I'll bet more research went into "The Passion of the Christ" or a host of historical movies than went into those movies. But I'd submit that in both situations the moviemakers had a point they were intending to make (incidentally, that alone undermines their credibility as "documentaries.")
"Speaking of Fahrenheit 9/11, it was the only movie I ever saw that elicited a spontaneous standing ovation at the end - in Nashville, not exactly a Blue state."
Well, how many non Moore fans do you guess paid the 10 bucks to see it when you did?
"Fox News published this review on it:"As much as some might try to marginalize this film as a screed against President George Bush, "F9/11" — as we saw last night — is a tribute to patriotism, to the American sense of duty — and at the same time a indictment of stupidity and avarice."
First, thanks for this example of "fair[ness] and balance[]." Second, a lot of information has come out about the film since this review was published. Which, as it happens, is a big reason to be somewhat reserved in assessing the quality (read: accuracy) of a documentary before unsympathetic critics have given it a once over.
"and 2) - it turns out Michael Moore's wisdom has been vindicated,"
Was that the message of Moore's movie? I missed that.
"particularly in light of today's news that Rumsfeld admitted to Bush that their Iraq plan was failing."
Re. that memo, so what? All it proves is that war is unpredictable and requires adaptation. And do you think Dems will win a job interview on the subject of war-waging capabilities?
Sure I would. It's no surprise that a Liberal would offer up photo opp quotes in an argument about what it takes to win a war.
And if you think wars are won or lost by statements made to the media, then what's up with the frivolous/baseless, UNPATRIOTIC vitriole from the Left during this time of war?
But the contrast between Bush and Kerry is stark isn't it? Bush holds a "job well done" party on the deck of an aircraft carrier and Kerry jokes that people fighting in Iraq were too stupid to not be in the armed services.
elliemay said, "Do you regard comments of outrage from several military Generals regarding the Bush/Rumsfeld Iraq strategy as "unpatriotic vitriole"?"
Haven't read those comments of "outrage"--but I'm willing to listen. And, yes, I do regard accusations of LYING, WAR-MONGERING, MURDERING, WAR CRIMING, etc. etc. as unpatriotic during war time. It's over the top, elliemay. And I'm eager to see if any of these retired generals said any of that.
elliemay in quotes: "Oh, and Happy Feet was #1 again at the box office this weekend nationwide."
Well, good for it . . . maybe the movie'll win some little future voters for the Dems; good job.
"Dosn't sound so bad based on this review I read"
Do you think I care what a movie reviewer says? And who--me or you, seems to be more persuaded/influenced by what others say?
Post a Comment