Tuesday, June 13, 2006

"Daisy" joins the family


It has been a week since we adopted our new Golden Retriever, "Daisy," from a Kentucky pound--after more than a year since our 14-year-old golden, "Kelsey," passed away. We had thought now and again about replacing our dear Kelsey, because we believe that dogs can play an important companion role in a home. Well, invariably over the past seven days I have had the distinct impression that there was a dog hair in the back of my throat; however, any and all inconveniences that sensation represents in my mind were negated last night by something said by our middle daughter, who has been perhaps the slowest to bond/meld to Daisy.

My wife had purchased new toothbrushes for the kids yesterday, and my daughter had left hers in the minivan, so when it came time to brush teeth, she asked if she could go get her toothbrush from the van which was in our basement garage . . . our dark, spooky basement garage. I was impressed by her seeming newfound courage but kind of expected her to soon call out for someone to accompany her on her mission, but the call never came. After a few minutes, she appeared in the bathroom with Daisy in tow. "Daisy could tell it was scary to go down to the car," my daughter shared, "so she followed me all the way down there and we got my toothbrush together; I think she likes me."


This is a little bit of an aside, but our visit to the dog pound left a distinct impression on me. I love animals, though I consider them to be property and a resource which God expects us humans to wisely steward. I think there are definite advantages to buying a puppy that has been bred; however, I encourage you to look first at a pound/shelter before purchasing a bred puppy. And after you get any kind of pet, I urge you to spend the relatively small amount of money to have it spayed or neutered, unless you plan to responsibly breed it in the future. Here is a link with more information on this type of thing. And here is the site where we found our forever four-footed friend.

No comments: