Friday, June 11, 2010

If every Jesus is "historical," then. . .

If every Jesus is "historical," then no Jesus is "historical." Great post by Ross Douthat about most modern efforts to find the "historical" Jesus . . . Choose Your Own Jesus - Ross Douthat Blog - NYTimes.com

5 comments:

John Myste said...

Ned, I just found your wise response to Mr. Deming's blog. Here it is:

Actually, Burr, as I stated in the post, the Maine referendum is a demonstration of the healthy tension republican and democratic principles. And there are more criteria for proper representation than simply having time to "examine issues in detail." The majority of Mainers apparently viewed this issue than their elected representatives.

But about how history will view my opposition to homosexual marriage . . . given your profession of Christian faith, it is notable that you seem to believe that God's view of homosexual acts will change.

I probably missed much of the discussion. I am always late.

I would just like to point out, that Mr. Deming was not suggesting that God's view would change. He was suggesting that your view of God's view was in potentially in error. God, as we know, of course, is stubborn and immutable.

While I am sure that you are using wisdom contained in the Bible to back up your truth, I would be interested to know your exact evidence for God's view. I tried consulting God, but he forwarded me back to Ned.

Sincerely,
JMyste

ned said...

John,
Thanks for the belated comment on that discussion from Burr's site.

I realize what Burr's opinion is/was . . . unlike you, he just passed on answering the rhetorical question.

While I don't perceive you'll accept it as "evidence," I am relying on various passages in the Old and New Testaments of the Bible that discuss Homosexual acts. Did you really consult God? Are you really interested in His opinion?

John Myste said...

I think you have a earned your floor and I you have piqued my interest, so I have a question:

Do you think God is in favor of government control of healthcare?

I will confess, I think the answer is no. That, of course, may be a little misleading, but it is nonetheless, my answer.

John Myste said...

Ned,

I feel caught. Obviously, I did not ask Him His opinion, nor did I consult Him. However, I did miss part of the story somewhere in there. I think you were suggesting that God had made his stand and he was not going to back down and that the only way Burr could reject God's position is if he assumed God's opinion would change.

If that is the case, then your rhetorical question was not really that rhetorical, but was both an answer to his last post and challenge for further discourse.

As for knowing Burr's stance on God's opinion of homosexuals, it is clear. Burr thinks He loves them.

Sincerely,
JMyste

ned said...

John,
As far as God's opinion on government-run healthcare, I can't say, but I do suppose He supports my right to oppose it.

Regarding the homosexual acts post, I'm too tired to attempt to follow your line of reasoning, but I don't think my point was all that nuanced: Burr's apparent position on homosexual acts is that they are not sinful. I think that is in error, and that the "immutable" Creator has condemned homosexual acts as sin.

And I also think that it is erroneous to imply that God cannot simultaneously condemn homosexual acts (or any other sin) and love the actor.