Wednesday, April 02, 2008

How is this not "newspeak"?

Just perusing my daily email from the City Paper, I noticed a story that seemed "new" because I hadn't heard anything about it previously. "Dean-backed nondiscrimination bill passes" on Nashville City Paper. Despite Dean's seeming ambivalence about homosexual issues when running for Mayor, I thought that perhaps he had pushed a bill making persons-who-engage-in-homosexual-acts a protected class." Well, it turns out that "non-discrimination" (related to "procurement" programs) means "affirmative action." From the story:
"The Metro government non-discrimination bill — the first key piece of legislation supported by first-year Mayor Karl Dean — was passed into law by Metro Council at its meeting on Tuesday.

The bill amends Metro Code to establish a procurement non-discrimination program within Metro, which aims to give minority- and women-owned businesses an equal opportunity to secure contracts on Metro projects.

. . . .

Dean appointed an advisory council last October to identify initiatives Metro could take to help minority- and women-owned businesses receive a fair share of Metro contracts."
(emphasis added). And how do we decide what is the "fair share" of these contracts?

No comments: