Friday, October 20, 2006

You can call me "mister"

This is one of those posts that builds over time--I'm not particularly bothered by "cheekiness" or "privacy," but I have my limits. And while some of this may be "generational," I'm not one to accept something just because it's "new" or because it's what everyone's doing. (Yes, that is reflected in my politics, too).

I went into the local franchise of a haircuttery the other day and, as is normal these days, an employee stepped away from cutting hair to greet me (actually, all three of the employees--looked over their shoulder when I walked in and hollered, "Welcome to _______!") She said, "What's your phone number?" I told her. She then read off--for all the assembled customers and staff, the names of my children, my spouse and then stopped at the names that sounded "male." She announced my given name and my nickname and asked me which name was me, and I said, "Well, both are mine." And then she asked me which name I wanted to choose, and acted as if it was weird for me to have ever given another name than the one that is listed on my credit card or in the phone book. I told her to use my nick name. Then I sat down to wait (and stew a little).

First, I don't appreciate having to provide a family bio in order to get a haircut.
Second, I don't need to be on a first-name basis with a round-robin barber at one of many franchise barber shops that I may or may not patronize in a month when I need another haircut.

Then my turn came, and another barber drew my name (that first barber probably didn't want anything to do with the problem customer). For some reason, she needed to--again, work through this knotted name issue and read my given name and nickname. She asked, "Which one do you want me to use?" I hesitated ("HEY, I just want a freakin' haircut, and I'm in a big hurry!"), and as she pressed, I started to reply, "you can call me" and we both simultaneously arrived at the right answer: "Mr. Williams." Even then she made a little joke about that conclusion--in her mind she had gone the extra mile to accommodate me.

We're on good terms after talking for several minutes in the barber's chair--sharp objects around tender skin can be very painful, so it is wise not to offend a barber. But with so many barber shops to choose from, it is wise not to offend a customer.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've been to that Clip joint and had the same conversation. We came to the same conclusion--Mrs. Brooks it would be.

This may be why I avoid Starbucks also. Am I officially an old fogey?