I had been interested in what the gals at TGW--whom I perceive to be some of the most Left-leaning bloggers in Tennessee, were thinking about Brittney's stoning and the title of this post jumped out at me: (Tennessee Guerilla Women: "Liberal Blogger Attacks Liberal Blogger – Racist Rightwing Blogger Wins"). I don't visit Six Meat Buffet often; from the times I've visited, I can see that they are often clever but too often provocative--inclined to appeal to the worst in me and others. And I thought some of this particular post--dis-eulogizing a guy named Steve Gilliard whom I knew of but had heard little about, was offensive. For example, I rarely see how someone's physical appearance is relevant to a discussion.
But that's not what "egalia" (of TGW) brought out in her post--she accused "smantix" of being "racist." Actually, that was part of the irony of "smantix's" post and Steven Gilliard's "work." I think it might be a little too reflexive or easy for TGW, et al to accuse "smantix" of being a racist--even the term "right wing" had overly-diminished returns if you frequent the TGW website. This entire incident reminds me of a killer bee attack or a pitbull attack. It may make some people feel better to name some type of "provocation" for what happened, but I think the impetus for the tragedy is the character of the attackers.
Hello world!
7 years ago


No comments:
Post a Comment