Christmas Warrior reporting for duty! (Please retrieve from memory banks the embarrassingly lame salute of John Kerry in accepting the DNC nomination).
I just came across a link to a Slate article (here) via Anne's StupidStuffIWitness blog about why "conservatives" and "Christianists" despise the phrase "happy holidays."
For the record, I don't despise the phrase "happy holidays" or need affirmation from a store greeter/shoplifter-cop as I rush into a brick and mortar. As a result, I only skim over assertions that there is a war on Christmas and have never read the book so named.
That being said, I am bothered by a patently secularist agenda to strip all mention of devoutness in the public square, and an emerging trend to never utter Christmas (other than in a laundry list of Winterish celebrations) is certainly evidence of said agenda.
But to the article. I like how the author harkens back 17 years--seventeen years!!!--all the way back to midway in the GHWBush administration!!, to establish how long the LANDMARK!!! Supreme Court holding that any religious display on a public venue is UNCONSTITUTIONAL. (see previous post on how Libs are BIG time advocates for stare decisis after nosing their Liberal agenda--via even only a plurality of judges, across the finish line).
I also like how Greenburg writes that in the 1950s, "the Holocaust had made the merits (indeed the necessity) of religious toleration all the more compelling." I'm not sure why Greenburg chose "toleration," and I'm even more surprised that he used that as an example of religious intolerance. Maybe this would explain folks like Greenburg's problems with "Religious Conservatives" and evangelicals. As noted in an earlier post, NOW I know what Liberals think I think.
And Greenburg can't be serious in presuming that uses of the term "Season's greetings" in the past (all the way back to Eisenhower's Christmas Cards!!) were intended to mean "season-which-includes-Channukah-Kwanzaa-Ramadan-witch-winter-solstice-etc.-etc." as opposed to Christmas and new year's eve and Hannukah.
But hasn't Christmas sufficiently been secularized/commercialized/spiritually-dumbed down so as to obviate the need for marketers to begin advertising "Holiday Trees" for sale?
Lastly, I can appreciate that Lefties despise that conservatives despise anything, but can't we agree that consumers have every right to complain, organize, boycott, threaten (in an economic sense), pressure, etc. any company they darn well please? If you're so right, Greenburg et al, let boycotters across the globe continue to make fools of themselves.
And remember, Jesus is the reason for the season.
Hello world!
7 years ago


No comments:
Post a Comment